Humanism is older than all the religions.
There have been humanists since the beginning of recorded history, all over the world, though the word “Humanism” has only been used to describe our beliefs and values since the 19th century. These ideas have been recorded in Europe, from the 6th century BCE to about 6th century CE, in China from the 6th century BCE onwards, in India from the 6th century CE onwards, in the Arab world from the 12th century CE, and in the Western world from the 17th century CE to the present day.
If there was no religion, the world would be something other than it is today. But who can say what it would be like? While looking at this sentence, several questions comes to our mind. Even if, we are not brainstorming at the time. These questions will keep disturbing you;
• How would a world without religion have been born?
• How could the cave man have explained the meaning of life without religion?
• How would the cultures of Greece or India have flourished without religion?
• What story would the leader of a group of people have told his people, when a tsunami destroyed their homes?
• Have you thought about the difference between organised religion and religion as it is practised as a personal devotion?
• Religion, what is it good for?
• But what if, religion never existed?
• What we never had religion — or religions — to fight with or against?
• Would the World (and the people who inhabit it) be a better place?
• Would there be something important missing?
• On balance, and ultimately, has religion been a “good” thing or a “bad” thing?
People of religion usually inherit their beliefs from their families, depending on their culture. Humanists have always worked things out for themselves, and we’re still doing it now. For this reason, we’re sometimes called “freethinkers” because that’s what we do – we think freely, rather than believing.
The symbol of Humanism is the Happy Human. Many people hear this list and say “well, I guess I’m a Humanist”. Maybe it’s you as well. Most Humanists don’t believe in God or belong to any religion, but call themselves Humanist because they share these values.
Humanists believe that:
• we can gain knowledge through scientific research and looking at the natural world – what is real, what we can see and touch
• this one life is all we know we have
• our morality (our sense of right and wrong) comes from our human nature and culture
• what is right is what promotes human welfare and fulfilment
• we can and should create meaning and purpose in life
Religion satisfies a deep seated need in humans, the need to feel that there is a purpose to my existence. It is only in the past few years that we have understood the mechanics behind tsunamis. There is a whole lot of history before that, and I don’t see how humans could have passed through those times without building a religion to see them through.
Without religion, it would be much harder to control society – for good and evil. Because religion is a way of sharing morals within a society. It is a way of telling parents which teachings are important to pass on to children. It is a way of building a common life style. Without religion, something else would need to take that place.
Without religion, there would still be morals, and good people. There would still be those good people who want the best for everybody. There would also still be bad people, and people who think they are good, but only out to get “their own”. Quite often human selfishness is the greatest evil of all.
A world without religion would be very different, but it would be different because for humans to not have religion, we would have to be very different beings. And I just don’t know what that could be like. Or then a world without religion would be just like the world of today, except we wouldn’t have things called religion… We’d have other ways of hating people different from us, and being nice to people in our culture.
But, if we look back to the roots in history – during the times of our evolution, when the first two creatures of God, landed on Earth. Did they had any religion? Because, they are the source of the humanity and human race on Earth. If not them, then why us?
Religion does divide people. That is true. However, I prefer the word separate rather than divide. Religion does group people into different sects. Jews, Christians, Muslims, Hindus. These differences sometimes can cause disagreements and hostility between people of different religious backgrounds. Wars have been waged in the past and present in the name of religion and often times the resentment follows through generations to come.
And if, religion is utmost necessary, for the identification of caste and creed of the large population, then it should be kept in mind that it should not be mingled with terrorism. The statement is so, that what we actually see, is mostly the Islamic States are involved in the clutches of terror – related activities.
A group of people whose behavior, together, results in their own self-destruction… not even animals would do this. So to say that humans ‘would behave’ like this (without religion) is insulting and arrogant on so many (ignorant) levels.
Religion takes away from us the very thing that makes us human: critical thought, and the ability to make value judgement for ourselves. So, what would happen if humans could interact in using that ability? That, unfortunately, is an experiment that has yet to reach any conclusion.
Now, the question arises, particularly with the religion of Islam, that if the messages of religions, aren’t the root cause of conflict – they are simply a justification for it. Then, why a Muslim family, in a Hindu locality specially is denied home to live in or in some cases they are not being allowed to stay as PG.
Why it is so?
That means, the mainstream society considers the religion of Islam and its followers to be the followers of “Terrorism” as a whole. But, the problem is that, no one even tries to accept the fact that the terrorist or terrorism doesn’t fall under any categories of religion.
It’s a sorry state of affair to see the Muslims are looked down as an Offended class of religions. There is no quick fix to the human condition.
The negativity we see today and falsely attribute to religion is totally a wrong misconception. People who do the wrong do not belong to a specific religion which requires them to do wrong. They do it for money, power, greed etc.
But restricting religion to common definition of Christianity, Islam, Judaism etc., it would make no substantial non-negative difference if they would not exist.
The “No” arguments basically say not all wars are based on religion. But the further you dig into the layers of reasoning behind war, religion always ends up showing its ugly face. Religion is war; the people who say otherwise are more following idiots that will defend it in fear of going to “hell”. The world would be a much more peaceful place without religion. Less fear, less crime and less hate in a world without religion. For now, we are stuck in the dark ages, a world of war until the religions die off.
Some people just take their beliefs too far. They get upset that not everyone thinks like they do. They think they feel this inner peace and they want everyone to feel it. That is until people do things that go ageist their beliefs. Then, they get enraged and start doing things that go against what they say they believe. They tell other people who believe what they do, and get them riled up. The group of people then take to the streets, causing chaos everywhere they go. That is how wars start. The world would be a much better place if people would just except that we all have different beliefs.
The world would not be more peaceful if there were no religion. In order to feel peaceful a society and its people need to feel secure. Religion in and of itself works to give its people a sense of security and peacefulness that they would not otherwise have if they did not have religion.
Om Puri in the movie “Oh My God” said that “Mazhab insaanon ke liye banta hai … mazhab ke liye insaan nahi bante”. Which meant “Religion is made for humans … human is not made for religion”.
Similarly Akshay Kumar, who represented God Krishna in the movie also said, “Maine sirf insaan banaya … aur insaan ne yeh jaat, paat, dharm, mazhab ka dhanda shuru kiya”; meaning “I only made humans … and humans started this business of caste, religion, etc”.
Not Prioritizing Yourself Enough? Here’s How You Can Change It!
In today’s society, there’s this push to promote self-care. While society five or maybe ten years ago would see the term “self-care” as something selfish, fortunately now, mental health has become a larger concern. While toxic positivity is being pushed out, and the whole “put yourself first” mantra is slowly beginning to reign supreme, there’s one question to ask. How exactly can one put themselves first? Also, how can these self-care changes even boost your well-being? These are some helpful ways to achieve that!
Understand Your Life Goals, Values, and Purpose
When it comes to putting yourself first, it’s important to begin by thinking of your life goals, your values, and what type of purpose you want in your life. While society once deemed people as “selfish” for even considering this, it’s your life, and you’re entitled to live your life the way you want it. Is one of your life goals to travel? Then that’s great! Keep aiming for it!
Identify Your Wants and Needs
Everyone has their own wants and needs, everyone does. What are yours? While it’s important to put other people’s wants and needs in front of your own (such as if you’re a parent), just keep in mind that you don’t have to do this all the time. So think about it, what are some small ways you can put your own wants and needs ahead without it jeopardizing anyone else. Maybe it can be something small such as getting more sleep, or maybe even something huge such as changing careers. It’s entirely up to you to decide.
Take Time to Get Your Headspace Right
A great way to get yourself into the right headspace is through the beauty of travel. This is actually one of the biggest ways that people are treating themselves and putting themselves first. Changing up your environment and your routine through the power of travel can be one of the very best ways to get yourself feeling recharged and just completely breaking away from what may be stressing you out. Whether you opt into a long vacation, weekend trip, or a day trip, just allow yourself the chance to breathe, take a break, and recharge.
There’s nothing wrong at all with treating yourself to things. Whether you’re wanting to gift yourself a nice car you shopped with through edmunds, a fun vacation, or anything else. There isn’t anything wrong with gifting things to yourself as long as you have the disposable income to do it and if it’s in moderation.
Opt-Out of Social Media That’s Not Good for You
Social media is a double-edged sword. It can be a great tool for connecting with people and staying in touch with friends and an extension of our personal brand. However, many people are finding that social media is not the best tool for their mental health and well-being. If possible, try to opt-out of social media if you feel it’s not good for you. And instead, try to spend more time in nature or offline activities like hanging out with family and friends.
Building A Social Support System: An Essential Key To A Life Of Wellness
Everybody needs somebody, even if you believe you thrive better as a lone wolf or prefer being antisocial. While having a support system around you will help you get through life, it also offers far-reaching health benefits. These include helping you deal with loneliness and even improving your chances to beat unhealthy addictions. A strong social system can also be very helpful when going through stressful times, battling chronic illnesses, etc. But how can you build a healthy social support system around you, and what does it entail?
It’s important to first understand what a social support system is. It comprises friends, family, loved ones, and peers that you can call or rely on, especially in times of need to provide support, respect, and care. Having a support system around you can provide wisdom and guidance through tough times. It can also provide strength and hope with a generous supply of understanding and compassion.
Although research has shown that building a social support system can help you through the tough times, the last thing you want to do is try developing one only when you feel stressed and need assistance. Creating a social support system is something you should do when you’re not under stress or in need. This way, you don’t end up relying on the wrong people.
Start by making a list of those already in your life, including friends, family, colleagues, and neighbors. When you are done with this, go through your list and highlight or underline those who have been supportive in your life and how. Next, make it a point to contact these people to check on them and find out how they’re doing. However, it’s important to note that you can also include professionals in your support system. For instance, counselors, psychologists, teachers, coaches, and healthcare professionals who have assisted you in difficult times, whether in the classroom, the gym, or in treatment programs you’re undergoing or already went through.
Creating a healthy social support system also requires you to identify the barriers that have prevented you from creating healthy and meaningful connections with people. For instance, are you antisocial? Are you dealing with depression, drug abuse, or alcohol addiction issues that make it impossible to keep loving people around you? Once you identify your roadblocks to healthy social connections, find ways of removing them. For example, if you’re addicted to drugs and alcohol, you can find help through inpatient treatment programs.
Another great way to build a social support system is to explore and embrace shared interests. It is easier to be surrounded by like-minded individuals who understand your emotions and can empathize in ways that others may not. For example, parents of a child with special needs will find immense support from other parents who share the same or similar difficulties. A great way to build such connections is by joining groups, associations, or clubs that share your interests and ensuring that you maintain regular interaction with the members.
Top 10 Simple Health Changes To Boost Your Well-Being
It does not matter how old you are, where you live, or what your occupation is, your health should always be a top priority. However, most of us are a little bit guilty of letting our well-being slide from time to time. With that being said, read on to discover some of the simple ways you can give your health a boost today.
- Get rid of at least one item in your life that contains toxic chemicals – You may be shocked by just how many items in your life contain toxic chemicals. This includes everything from air fresheners to bed sheets. Get rid of one of these items and replace it with something natural instead. This is something you should make a habit to do every few months or so. You will be surprised by just how much of a difference this can make.
- Deep breathe for at least five minutes – Throughout the day, you should make sure you take the opportunity to deep breathe for at least five minutes. Why? Well, there have been numerous studies that have shown that deep breathing can help to lower stress hormone levels. This means that you will feel better, get an improved night’s sleep, and you will have less anxiety too.
- Drink more water – You probably expected this to be on the list, but the importance of drinking more water should never be ignored. Your body needs water for almost every function. If you are dehydrated, this could be the cause of headaches, pains, aches, and a number of other symptoms.
- Have one veggie night per week – A lot of people eat far too much meat, red meat especially. So, why not have a veggie night once a week? Not only is this good for your health, but it will be good for your bank balance too. There are so many great recipes online that can give you ideas regarding tasty and creative dishes that do not incorporate any sort of meat or fish. Once you start off with one night per week, you may then decide that you want to up it to two nights, and so on. However, it always helps to start off small so that it is easier and more manageable, and you can then get used to it.
- Sign up for an online pharmacy – Nowadays, you can easily order your prescriptions and medications over the Internet via an online pharmacy. This can help you to boost your health because it ensures you never experience delays with your medication. If you are someone who often doesn’t take their recommended course of tablets because you cannot get to the doctors in time for a repeat prescription, then this is definitely a good suggestion for you. Your medication will be delivered to your door with a click of a button.
- Make a dedicated effort to lower your stress levels – There is no denying that we live in a very stress-filled world at the moment! The world we live in is one that has heaps of pressure, and it can be difficult to stay on top of everything and keep those stress levels low. However, it is vital that you find a way to do so. After all, if you don’t adrenal fatigue and health can start to take a tumble, which is the last thing you want. For those who are unaware, adrenal fatigue relates to a group of different symptoms that impact people who are under a lot of physical, emotional, or mental stress. From being a single parent to having a stressful job, there are a lot of different reasons why you may be struggling. Therefore, we recommend that you look for different ways to reduce those stress levels so that you can enjoy a more calming and peaceful life. Whether it is doing some breathing techniques or taking more regular breaks so you can have moments for yourself, there are a lot of different ways that you can make sure you are keeping your stress levels to a minimum. The importance of this should not be overlooked, as stress can impact our mental and physical health in so many different ways.
- Do something nice for someone every day – You will be surprised by how good this makes you feel, and by how much this has a positive impact on your health. It’s all about mental well being. When you do something nice for another person, you are benefitting their health, as well as your own. First and foremost, there is no denying that it feels good to hear some nice words for someone or to get a helping hand when you need it. You feel recognised and appreciated, and this is something we all need. At the same time, doing something nice for someone else and seeing their reaction can make you feel amazing too. After all, doing something good for someone is a gift for yourself at the same time. You will find that the deed continues throughout the day, making you feel great and happy within yourself.
- Incorporate some movement into your commute – If you do not have an active job, this is particularly important. Sitting at a computer all day can be bad for your health. One way to combat this is by incorporating some movement into your commute. If you can walk or bike to work, you should give this a go. If not, start parking your car further away from your place of work so that you have to walk there and back. You should also start using the stairs instead of the elevator whenever you can.
- Start meal planning – You will find it much easier to eat healthily if you plan your meals. At the start of every week, make a menu of what you are going to cook for dinner every evening, as well as what you are going to make for your lunches every day. Not only will this help you to eat better, but you will save money too. Make sure you incorporate some healthy snacks into your food prep for work. This will stop you from going to the vending machine whenever you are bored or your energy is zapped. The great thing about the times we live in at the moment is that you can easily get recipes and meal prep inspiration online. So, if you are struggling, simply do a little bit of digging online and we are sure that you will find a lot of different options when it comes to meal ideas and clever food prep suggestions for the week ahead. Not only is this going to help you to be more organized, but you will find that it actually saves you quite a bit of money in the process. After all, when we do not have a food plan for the week ahead, we tend to spend a lot of money on items we do not need. Food can end up going in the bin because we do not use it. This ends up in an awful lot of waste, and we should all be looking to reduce this, so meal prep is great in many ways.
- Keep a journal – Last but not least, keeping a journal is good for a person’s mental health. You should write down your thoughts. It doesn’t need to be a long entry; you can simply jot down a few bullet points every evening. This will help you to articulate your thoughts so that they do not wear you down. After all, it can be very difficult to sleep if you have lots on your mind. A lot of experts advise this approach for people who suffer from insomnia. One of the main reasons why a lot of people struggle to get the hours of sleep they need is because they cannot shut off when they go to sleep; their minds are still going at a million miles per hour. They are thinking about what they need to do the following day and any worries or concerns that they may have. Because of this, it very much makes sense to keep a journal so you can offload some of these thoughts and worries and you can have a much more restful night of sleep. Once you get into the habit of doing this, you will see that it actually does make a significant difference when it comes to drifting off and enjoying a good night of rest.
So there you have it: some of the best ways to give your health a boost. The suggestions that have been provided are really simple and easy, so there is no excuse not to give yourself a bit of TLC. we are sure that you will start to notice a difference as time goes on. However, as is the case with anything, it requires patience and persistence. You cannot expect to turn your health around in one night.
Business10 months ago
Temperature Controlled Transport: What is it?
Business8 months ago
Current Trends in Business That Every Entrepreneur Should Work Towards Achieving
Business10 months ago
Why Buy A Business, Rather Than Start One
Business10 months ago
Top 10 Simple Health Changes To Boost Your Well-Being
Health8 months ago
The Way We Have Exercised Has Changed
Business9 months ago
Employee Training and Development Becomes One of the Most Disruptive Megatrends That Is Shaping the Future of Work
Health11 months ago
Digitisation of medicine: better digital medical devices
Business8 months ago
How To Make Business Life So Much More Favourable